Friday, July 31, 2009

Pedigree

Today I unfortunately had to ruin my morning of sleeping in with Chancho because I forgot to put away a few things around the house and I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the morning knowing that. Starting the day off on a sour note only made the day get better and it did. I was able to focus my attention on my family tree. Recently I have been really interested in my family history and who everyone is and so forth. What got me started was a conversation with my father two days ago when he informed me that I have cousins who live a few towns away that I have never heard of until that moment. So from there I went about searching for them....no luck in that area.

I did however, get a nice long history about my paternal grandmother's side of the family. I was able to find about 5 more people and add them to the tree. With the help of my mother, I was able to add about 3 more people. It is slowly but surely becoming larger and larger with every person I speak to. I even found out some interesting facts about the family along the way. Some family members are adopted, but don't know it. My father's middle name is not a family name, in fact it's the result of a failed marriage. And lastly I was supposed to have twin great aunts or uncles, but they were a miscarriage. I was able to extend my research with the help of Ellis Island. Found some actual records of my maternal great grandmother and grandfather. I am keeping my family tree orgainized through the handy-dandy site Ancestry.com. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to start keeping a record.

I've always been interested in where I came from and it's nice to actually see it all laid out in front of me and it will be easier for when I have children and they begin to ask questions. I am very excited to start my own family and to watch it grow. But that can come with time, no rush.

Chancho update: He did a training today with paintballs. If only my job entailed playing with paintballs. We also get to spend an entire day together on Sunday! No paid detail! :) And not only is it an entire day, but we'll be at the beach the entire time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment