Friday, April 1, 2011

Bling Bling

Yesterday was Yankees opening day. Chancho and our closest group of friends left at around 9:30am to head into the Bronx to start celebrating the beginning of baseball season. Our trunk had a cooler that was filled to capacity of bud light and an Italian wedge waiting for us once we parked in the garage. We got there at about 10:30am and began celebrating. We had the music playing and Chancho had a fellow co-worker join in. Well about half way through, the music stopped playing. Chancho's car died. Ha. Oops. So our music stopped but our partying didn't. The gates opened at 11am so we quickly finished our drinks and headed in to Yankee stadium. Chancho was wearing his Yankee poncho that he bought when we were in Mexico so he was definitely an attraction for some people as we were walking through the stadium to our seats. We stopped to get a foot long, a sausage, more beer and popcorn.
We're sitting in our seats (Grandstand, third baseline) and it's freezing. I felt like it should have been October rather than March. I was bundled up, but my hands were still freezing so I kept trying to shove my hand in Chancho's pocket, but he kept refusing to let my hand in. I was getting a bit annoyed by it, as he knows that this is what I usually do, but he promised that he would let me in his pockets after the next inning. In my mind, I'm thinking why the hell can't I just warm up my hand for a few seconds this inning??
The 5th inning arrives and there are usally a bunch of messages on the big screen, varying from welcome's, brithday's, anniversaries and lastly marriage proposals.....
Chancho is telling me to look at the screen because there are a bunch of people from his precinct at the game so I'm like "uh huh, okay" still looking around the stadium doing whatever and he's like "No, you gotta watch, it'll be cool." So after about the 3rd time of him telling me to look, I do and good thing because the 2nd announcement was a marriage proposal from Chancho!!!!
He stood up and showed everyone in our section the ring as they're all cheering him on. He gets down on one knee and asks me to marry him. I was in such shock that I almost forgot to say yes. Thankfully, our friends got it all on camera. They took pictures and video! I can't wait to see that.
Needless to say, I can't really recall anything that happened for the rest of the game other than the fact that they won. After the game, we headed back to my house and as we were gathering up everyone's cars getting ready to head out to a restaurant, Chancho's best friend smacked him in the face with a whipped cream pie! It's a tradition of the Yankees to celebrate a walk-off game by doing that to the guy who homered so it was only appropriate for them to do that to Chancho.
We had a nice dinner with our friends and my parents joined us. My dad told Chancho that he no longer had to call him Mr. M, but could call him by his first name or even Dad. My mom still wants to be called Mrs M though. She's the tougher of the two to please.
We haven't really discussed any details as to a date, or place yet. I think I'm still trying to grasp my head around the fact that he actually proposed and that he proposed at Yankee Stadium. I think we'll just enjoy it for a while before jumping right into the craziness of planning a wedding.

Quote of the Day: "No one can tell you what love is, you will simply know it when you feel nothing else."


Listening to: "Tangled Up In You" by Staind






4 comments:

  1. Oh my God!!! Congratulations! I am so excited for you!!!!

    Yay!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many congrats! Wow! What a great proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How memorable! Congrats to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You, Thank you, Thank you!! I'm still shocked that it really happened.

    ReplyDelete