Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wish List

As a little girl I've had an image in my head as to where I would be getting married. It has been a vague image, but it's there non the less. I wouldn't be able to describe it to you, but I would know it when I saw it. Well I saw it.
Yesterday my mother and I ventured out to look at reception halls. I booked two appointments and we headed out to see them. The first place is it. It was like finding our home. I just knew it. You have to drive over a little draw bridge to get to an island and the island is covered in trees, bushes and flowers. It's definitely green and beautiful. You drive around the edge of the sound looking out over the water and come up to a beautiful grand entrance. There is a car port so if it's raining guests don't have to get wet and yes, valet parking is included! Upon entering the guests would be greeted by people who serve you champagne. There is a fireplace, a couple of chairs and a couch. To the side is a grand staircase that swoops down to the main door. Going up those stairs and around you enter into the ceremony site which is a room that has full length windows on three walls. You get a gorgeous view of the water. Chancho and I would be standing closest to the windows with a sky light above us while we said our vows. Our guests would be able to stare off into the sunset or just enjoy the view while the ceremony is going on. After the ceremony is done, everyone would be ushered into the cocktail room which again has a full wall of windows looking out over the sound. It gives you the feel of like being on a cruise. And I love cruises so this was perfect. Chancho and I would have our own suites to get ready in and I would have a girl "hermetically sealed to my hip" for the entire event, as the banquet manager so kindly stated. The cocktail hour would include 4 satellite/cooking stations and butler service of hors d'oeurves. Roughly 45 different kinds of food would be available. Once the cocktail hour was over everyone would be seated inside the ballroom. It is a square room so everyone is an equal distance from the dance floor and the doors would be left open so you can still have the view of the water and have the option of staying in the cocktail room to escape the music or if we have a photo booth or something else out there, it would be extra space. The room is ivory, which is great to work with any theme. They also offer a Peruvian option for food. I'm not sure many places do that, another reason we need to book this place! They also allow us to have access to the entire island for pictures. On the island is a beach, a castle and gardens. I'm telling you, you can't go wrong with this place. The catch is that they require you to use their florists. That is the only vendor they make you use. My mother was a florist before becoming a nurse and she has done the flowers for both my brother and my sister. She's amazing at what she does and she really wants to do the flowers for my wedding. I saw her heart break a little when the banquet manager told her she wouldn't be able to do them. We're going to see if we can make a deal of some sort. But this place has definitely allowed me to check off everything on my wish list: Water, beach, gorgeous views, awesome food, ceremony, grounds to take pictures...the list can go on.
I don't even want to talk about the second place. It was like walking into a cheap motel. My mother liked it because of the price, but you get what you pay for. It's a country club so people would be swimming and kids would be yelling and splashing as we were having our wedding. You have to walk past the two pools (that have chain linked fences) and cabanas, which are white washed and have padlocks on them. It was no where near as classy as the first place. Plus the man who spoke with us didn't think I was old enough to get married. I think he should have kept his opinions to himself.
I realize I have a bunch of other places to look at and there may be one that has everything I want and may be even better (where my mother can do the flowers). Patience is key.

Quote of the Day: "Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strength" ~ Corrie Ten Boom
Listening to: "Summer Nights" by Rascal Flatts

No comments:

Post a Comment