Friday, August 24, 2012

Empire State

You know how you try and get a hold of your husband or other person you love while they're at work and then they don't answer you in a suitable time frame? Well, that happened to me today.
I had my lunch break at 10:30am and as I was going through my usual routine of checking the social networking sites, I read the news about the shooting in front of the Empire State Building. I cringed and ran a few thoughts quickly through my head. Chancho is in training right now. Does that mean he will be out of harms way? Does that mean they will take this opportunity to give him a "hands on" training day? How close is he to the Empire State Building and what would the real possibility be that they would send him to the seen? I quickly sent him a text. I got back to the break room and ate my lunch. Every so often checking my phone, even though it was sitting there on the table. It was close to an hour later and still no response back from Chancho. My fears were starting to creep up in my head. I kept saying over and over that there wasn't anything wrong, trying to win over the negative thoughts. However, there was the main thought that all through out training he has always responded back right away. It didn't help that the discussion at the break room table was all about the shootings. One coworker was giving up to the minute details on what was happening, even playing a video from an eye witness. Of course I scanned all the faces in the video, but no Chancho. A disgruntled employee decided he needed to shoot a coworker and then turn the gun on innocent people. I went back to work with still no word.
Around 12:30ish I got a text saying he was sorry he didn't answer, but the Lt was teaching a lesson and he couldn't respond. The wave of relief washed over me knowing that he was okay. My mind was at peace. But then it quickly rushed into a panic of hoping every other cop was okay. Luckily, out of all the horrific nonsense that happened this morning, no NYPD were killed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those who were injured or killed. My heart aches as I hear of these stories.

Quote of the Day:  
"An hour, one hour, can change everything forever. An hour can save your life. An hour can change your life. Sometimes an hour is a gift we give ourselves. For some, an hour can mean almost nothing. For others, an hour makes all the difference in the world. But in the end, it's still just an hour. One of many. Many more to come. Sixty minutes. Thirty-six hundred seconds. That's it. Then it starts all over again. And who knows what the next hour might hold." -Grey's Anatomy

No comments:

Post a Comment