Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hello Out There....

Wow! I am married. I am a cop's wife. July 7th became the happiest day of my life so far. We were surrounded by family and friends who were just as happy to be there and to help us celebrate. All the worries and crazy nightmares all came to a halt that morning. It went as smoothly as a wedding could go. We are thrilled with how it all turned out. I can't stop looking at the pictures and reliving all of the moments. We haven't received our photographer's pictures yet (still anxiously waiting for those to arrive in September) so the guest pictures will have to do.
And let me tell you, I have never felt more involved with a Police Officer more than I do now. Chancho took the Sergeants test wayyyy back in October of 2011. The results came back and he passed. He passed with flying colors (in my eyes at least). The NYPD started promoting people off of the list in January of 2012. Apparently, you don't just get picked off of the list based on your score. There are some things they take into consideration, such as, your score, college credits, open investigations, seniority and so on. So basically, even if you scored a perfect score and you don't have enough college credits or you have an open investigation against you, you aren't being picked. So Chancho had to wait his turn for the numbers to be gone through to get to him. He was number 292 out of 1650 people. He didn't have to wait long before his list number was picked. He got the notification on August 4th. He's been in the academy training for this entire month.
He has to get all of his uniforms changed. He now has to have the chevrons put onto all of his shirts and a new stripe on his pants. He also has to switch out his badges to a Sergeants badge and that includes a new hat. And of course that means new boots and a new bag to hold all of his items because god forbid he gets caught carrying around his bag from the academy when he first started! I am currently trying to find a new mini shield wallet for a woman. Most frustrating thing to find. I saw a fellow cop wife who had one, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I have never been surrounded by all of his police stuff. He had 3 lockers at work. It all stayed there. Our guest bedroom aka Tommy's room, is filled with all of his stuff. It is just overwhelming. But I am so intrigued by it all at the same time. I finally am able to see the items he's talked about and finally understand why it's so heavy or itchy.
He was set to graduate on August 31st, but as predictable as the NYPD is, it was changed. I have a party planned for his graduation for family and friends, which I am super excited about. Not only do we get to celebrate this wonderful promotion, but it is also our first party as a married couple.
As excited as I am to have him become a Sergeant, I must say that I am a bit nervous as to how this is going to effect us. I have been incredibly lucky with his schedule as a Domestic Violence Officer. He was able to make his own schedule AND he had Fridays and Saturdays off. HEAVEN! Now, he will be transferred from his precinct, which means it will be further commute and he will not be on a schedule (most likely) that is convenient for any human. I was so spoiled. I knew it had to end, and I have to look at the bright side, that he is getting this part out of the way now, when we don't have kids. We will be able to deal with a crazy schedule now, when it's just the 2 of us and Tommy.
That's us in a nutshell for now. We have a new laptop FINALLY. I hope to get back into the swing of writing. We'll see how it goes.

Quote of the day:
"You can't cling to the side your whole life. If you don't want to sink, you better figure out how to swim." -Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle

1 comment: