Saturday, November 28, 2009

Being Thankful

Thanksgiving has come and gone so quickly. A recap of Thursday in a sentence: It was an unusual spanish dinner. It was a true glance into the future for me. Chancho worked a double the day before so that he would be able to have the day off. However, he spent the morning sleeping. Which left ample opportunity for his sister and I to bond. It was the first time that we were able to talk and spend time together alone. We went out shopping for utensils. Those were the only items the left off of their list. She was thankfully there while Chancho was sleeping to translate for me and keep me company. I would have been lost if she wasn't there. Dinner consisted of turkey, green mashed potatoes, stuffed peppers and corn. This is nothing like my Thanksgiving dinners. The food was delicious. The dessert went well, they enjoyed my apple pie, but Chancho's cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory won everyone over. The entire afternoon I was surrounded by his family speaking spanish and every now and then I would hear my name as they would look my way and say "Right?" All I could do was smile and nod. I had no idea what they were talking about, Chancho was either attending to other relatives or getting food in the other room, not around to give me a quick translation. I think I made out okay. However, I think that next year, he should experience our Thanksgiving. It really is a lot different from his.

My family celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday. My sister and brother in law were able to make the journey. My brother and his wife couldn't make it. Our menu was: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberries. Dessert was my birthday ice cream cake and apple pie. I loved it. My sister brought her dog. It was a wonderful night just hanging out. I got a itunes gift card from my sister and brother in law. The card was great. It said on the front "From the both of us, The intelligent one and the beautiful one" On the inside it said "Actually it's from the both of us. He'll sign anything I put in front of him" The greatest thing was that my brother in law said "Let me see that, I didn't read it. I just signed it."

2 comments:

  1. I would be so uncomfortable in the family situation not understanding anything anyone is saying! but it sounds like you did good and that you don't care too much. That is great. So why the green mashed potatoes?

    My brother brought over a Lemon raspberry cheesecake with lady fingers crust. It was incredible. Which one did you guys have?

    Since HF grew up in Williamsburg, VA., he is a total snob about how Thanksgiving is done. So we have a number of things in addition to my family's traditions. We have pineapple (symbol of welcome and friendship) and olives. That's all I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green mashed potatoes means they decided to put spinach in with them. I couldn't taste the difference. I would rather spinach on the side, but I guess if it can be mixed together then why not.

    Chancho decided on the plain original cheesecake with strawberries on top. It was mouth watering.

    I've never heard of the pineapple and olives, sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete