Monday, October 12, 2009

A Late Night

Saturday night became a long night for Chancho and I. It started out just a usual Saturday night, as most nights do when they turn into something bigger, I was home and bored attempting to keep myself occupied. I was texting Chancho here and there hoping that he would keep me entertained as he was riding in the backseat of the SUV and didn't have to drive. Then I didn't get a response back. An hour later, still nothing back. That's when the "I hope he's okay" "What happened?" "Is everyone alright?" starts to kick in. I can usually push those to the back of my mind for a couple more hours, but I was bored and didn't have anything else to focus on. Thankfully he responded before I got too crazy and let me know that they were the first responders to a 4 person burglary and one of them jumped out of the 4th floor. He filled me in on the details and then his night got busy. The guy decided to jump when they arrived there. He was still living when back up arrived and he got to the hospital okay, but he died on the table, but they were able to revive him and the last I heard he was in critical condition. I'd say he's lucky for having broken every bone in his body. However, Chancho was stuck with having to deal with the situation. He said that he was fine, just wouldn't be able to eat for a while after seeing the guy jump. He was told to held in the precinct until 4am waiting to be released. His phone was traced to make sure he didn't share any information and he thought he was going to be interviewed, but thankfully the the other perps told the truth about what happened. Crazy night.

Another Quote for Today: The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. - Joseph Addison

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That's awful. I know what you mean about getting more and more worried as time goes on and they don't respond. Your mind goes all sorts of places it shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait!! Who's phone was traced? Chancho's? You're kidding me... I have never heard of that. I suppose big department do things a lot different than one with 90 officers. ;)

    Glad it all turned out OK. Don't serve ragout anytime soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW,sometime I forget all the stuff my hubby is dealing with and i expect an immediate response after texting.When I don't get one I do think well maybe he is on a call.But after awhile I do worry,and if I can't reach whomever he is working with ahh or their spouse ,then I really worry!Always a blessing to know my officer is okay, but knowing he isn't calling or texting back means someone isn't!Glad the hubs is okay though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned this myself that the police trace the phones that officers use while they are in the precinct and the surrounding areas. I am not fond of it, but I suppose it's to help prevent officers from spreading the word to the wrong people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phone tracing thing is kind of interesting. I mentioned it to HF and to him he was like, "yeah, so?" I guess it's a good thing, but that would definitely add more frustration to the mix of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mentioned the tracing thing last night and he was like "What were they looking for?" and the conversation became "So pretty much they tell their officers - we don't trust you not to call the press and we're checking on each and every move?" The only thing he could think is that perhaps they were looking for GPS coordinates to ensure everyone was where they said they were... so someone who's department does this, please fill me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright hopefully this will clear up all the questions. Chancho filled me in this morning. He says,"They use it however it benefits them. They trace to see who cops are talking to, they've found cops talking to drug dealers and robbers to make deals, they also do it for coordinates in case a cop cannot be accounted for and something important is happening or hes been missing for a while." For the incident that happened the other night, if he had called and talked to me during the time that the perp jumped they could come to my house and question me about what was said during that time while they held Chancho at the precinct.

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes out here in small-department-ville, we miss some of those things.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete