Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Week In

We've completed the first week of the new DVO position and all I can say is that I am loving every second of it! I am so nervous to say that, but it's just working out so wonderfully. Chancho has had the most normal hours that I've ever experienced. He's been home every night this past week, with the exception of his arrest day. He will have the same schedule this upcoming week as well. What's even better is that he's up early enough that he's not sleeping all the time anymore!

As for the job itself, he's still feeling it out. He was able to shadow his new partner and learn the ropes as well as he could. He did well up until he had a bunch of paperwork and then he got overwhelmed, but that's understandable with never having done it before. He's also noticing the type of people that he's dealing with now. He has female victims the majority of the time, who are have been obviously abused, but won't do anything about it. Very very different people compared to the suspended licenses and marijuana arrests that he's been doing. I think it's going to take a lot of time to understand these victims and learn how to talk to them and help them without causing anymore harm. I can tell already that it bothers him, I try to remind him that this is a problem that these women have been dealing with for a long time and that this isn't the first time the cops have been called. Unfortunately, it's an awful cycle that he's being pulled into. There are so many options out there for domestic violence victims. I just hope that he will be able to help someone when the time comes. With patience, practice and his personality, I think he'll do great with this after he's gotten comfortable with himself.

Chancho also sang for the first time in his choir at church this morning. It didn't sound too bad. It was a quick mass, in and out in an hour. I was able to sit with his cousin for the entire time, so I wasn't alone, like I had originally thought I was going to be. It wasn't a bad experience at all. I surprisingly enjoyed myself. Right after church, we headed to our friend's volunteer firehouse and picked up Chancho's Christmas tree. He supported the firehouse this year, instead of getting one from my father. Chancho decided that he's going to alternate years so no one gets their feelings hurt.

Quote of the Day: "When you're a kid, it's simple. Christmas is magic. It's a time of miracles, when reindeer can fly, and Frosty never melts. Then you get older. Somehow, things change. The magic begins to fade. Until something happens that reminds you at Christmas time... miracles still can be found. Sometimes in the most unexpected places." - The Wonder Years

No comments:

Post a Comment