Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lots to Talk About

Lots to post about. First I guess I'll start with Chancho's grandfather passed away last week. He wasn't doing well from what I heard, but it was still a harsh reality to hear that he didn't pull through. Chancho decided not to fly to Peru to attend the wake and the funeral. It just wasn't doable, but that is the cost of living so far away from family. However, his family had the whole thing video taped and sent to Chancho on DVD. We spent the other night watching it. I learned a lot about the differences of their culture and ours hear in America.
The first difference is that the wake takes place over two days. It's located in the home. The casket was laid out in the living room for all to view. The whole wake seemed more like a party than mourning. They had a band playing and they also closed off a section of the street for family and friends to attend. The casket was also paraded around the streets. The funeral part was the same. They watched the casket get lowered into the ground. Chancho's handling it well. He does feel bad about not attending the funeral, but I think he has come to terms with the fact that it just couldn't happen.

Next, Chancho is looking at buying another car! Yes, that will be his 4th car in under a year. Honda contacted him and gave him a deal that he can't refuse. He is at the appointment right now speaking to the car dealership. He's interested in the CR-V, fully loaded of course. He wants something that he can just zip around town in, but still has space in case he has to fit something in it. He really wants the Pilot, but in all honesty there is no need for such a large car. He doesn't have kids, and he doesn't drive around that many people. We'll see what comes of it.

Final news about Chancho. The NYPD is recruiting men and women to send over to Haiti. Chancho's unit hasn't been asked yet, but he thinks they may be soon. We discussed it and he said he would jump at the chance to go. I knew right from the beginning that he would. That's just the type of person he is. He would be gone for probably a week to two weeks. He hasn't heard anything more about when it would happen though.

As for me. I'm sick. I have an awful sore throat. Everyone in the family has a cold, I'm hoping that it's quick and I'll be back to my old self soon enough. I bought a wireless adapter so now I can bring my computer anywhere in the house again. It's so nice to have that option back again. For some reason my wireless card in the computer doesn't work in this house. I needed a new one for it to work. That seems to be all that I can think of for now.

Quote of the Day: “Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.”

No comments:

Post a Comment