Monday, January 25, 2010

Surprise

My cousin, whom I've mentioned in previous posts, is officially a Marine. He is home and happy. Yesterday was his welcome home party. His father took him out to lunch and BAM there were about 50 friends and family starring at him when he walked in.
I almost didn't make it to the party though. For starters, I didn't get the day off which I requested 2 weeks in advance. I had to ask around work and beg for someone to cover my shift for me. It was a full day, open to close, so no one wanted to give up their Sunday to work. Especially since the JETS were playing. However, I found someone to agree to take my shift. Thrilled to finally be able to go, I get home to tell my dad that we were going and he answers with "I'm not going." WHAT?? Here I was scrambling to get coverage and when I finally did, he is refusing to go to this party. (Background information: This is my mother's side of the family. My father doesn't get along too well with them. He has been sick for about 2 weeks now and has been going to work every day.) The problem being that the party is about 2 hours away on Long Island and he is my ride, I frantically started calling up my sister to see if she was going, but turns out that she is sick with a stomach virus, so that was a no go. Last option: Chancho. He comes to my rescue once again. He lent me his car so I could make it to the party. Another reason to love him!
Sunday arrives and I make it to the party literally 2 minutes before my cousin gets there. He walks in dressed in his Marine uniform and is shocked. He had no clue! It was great being there. I'm so happy that I was able to go. The food was good, I was able to see family I haven't talked to in a very long time, and there were lots of pictures taken. I'm so very proud of him. As he was heading out to hang out with his friends, I mentioned to him not to have too much fun and he goes "I'm a Marine now. I have a head on my shoulders." He's only 18, but in my mind he's still only 10. He's the youngest in the family so it's hard to believe that the youngest is now a Marine.

Listening to: "Free Falling" by Tom Petty
Quote of the Day"Every woman should have a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age."

4 comments:

  1. OOOH RAH!!!!

    Don't forget to tell him "Good night, Chesty Puller, wherever you are." :)

    ...although if he's a HOLLYWOOD Marine... well, it is what it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool to throw his such a grea surprise party. I am glad you made in jut in nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! I am glad you got a chance to attend the party.

    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got to go!Please give my Thank you's to your cousin for his service.

    ReplyDelete